Among the most critical decisions entrepreneurs make is selecting a mergers and acquisitions (M&A) attorney. Mergers and acquisitions, by their nature, are complex legal processes. It is, therefore, crucial that before you embark on an M&A, you engage with the right attorney. Take note: the process of acquiring, merging with, or selling a company is vastly different compared to the other areas of the law. This means the factors which you need to consider to choose the best corporate finance advisory services in Dubai will be different as well.
Key Questions to Find the Right Mergers and Acquisitions Attorney in Dubai
Before the M&A process is initiated, the company must be assessed first for its sale. All potential buyers are going to look at every single area of the business. You need to make sure that all technical legal matters which impact the business operations have been addressed. If you fail in doing so, you will expose yourself to risks in the future, particularly with litigation.
In the initial consultation with a potential lawyer for vendor assistance service in Dubai, ask if their services include legal health checks. A good law firm that offers corporate finance advisory services in Dubai will alert you regarding areas of concern. What you want is legal counsel that can prepare your business even before you start looking for a buyer.
What kind of relevant experience does the law firm have?
While years or even decades of experience may be used in judging a legal professional’s caliber, you’ll find that a better yardstick would be to ask the number of M&A transactions they’ve handled in the past and how often they do so. You may also ask these questions as they’ll prove to be helpful when making a decision, depending on your situation:
- What’s the law firm’s average transaction value?
- What’s the total value of M&A transactions the professional has advised on?
- What’s the firm’s targe value range for clients that the law firm advises on? (You can also ask about the largest and smallest)
- How many transactions have the professional advice on within your specific industry? (If your company is in an industry that’s highly regulated e.g. oil and gas, then this is particularly crucial)
Depending on the law firm, the lawyer may also have support from a team of tax, intellectual property, and financial lawyers with experience in mergers and acquisitions in Dubai. It will ensure that all the aspects of the transaction are considered and fully covered.
Can the M&A attorney in Dubai represent the business in front of opposing company directors?
Your mergers and acquisitions lawyer in UAE will be the legal face of your business throughout the deal. It is important that the legal professional can present your case in a confident and knowledgeable manner. With any legal transaction, there will be lots of disagreements, discussions, and complexities that take place.
You must be capable of fully putting your trust on the lawyer in navigating relevant issues and managing the reactions and expectations of opposing company directors. This may be from your company or the other party to the transaction. This is a critical skill that comes only with time. It Is one other reason why you need to know the experience of your lawyer before you make a decision. Your M&A attorney in Dubai must be one that has already handled multiple similar transactions in the past. This way, you know you have legal representation that is capable of anticipating issues and has the tools in negotiating impasses.
Will the M&A attorney in UAE manage the deal to completion?
In order to make sure that you are covering the potential risk areas when selecting an attorney for corporate finance advisory services in UAE, ask the questions below regarding the transaction process.
- Does the law firm coordinate the question and answer process in maintaining confidentiality, protocols, documentation, and accuracy apart from providing professional advice and feedback?
- Does the M&A attorney attend and coordinate inspections, including all other meetings?
- Will the professional make suggestions and recommendations based on the meetings and inspections?
- Will the professional facilitate and coordinate negotiations for indemnities, guarantees and warranties?
- Will the professional assist with the process of due diligence?
- Will the professional assess the strategic fit of the parties involved with the M&A?
- What are the value drivers that the legal counsel will focus on in improving price negotiations?
- Does the law firm understand how different requirements for working capital will interact? Will they be mapping this for you?
There are a lot of questions you can ask a potential legal counsel regarding practices surrounding team structure, communication methods, and client confidentiality. All these will impact your decision. Arrange a consultation regarding your upcoming M&A transaction with our team today by calling us here in Farahat & Co!