Trademark Registration in Dubai, UAE
Trademark Registration Services in Dubai
Are you looking for a reliable and professional trademark registration service in Dubai, UAE? Do you want to protect your brand name, logo, or slogan from being copied or misused by others? Do you want to enhance the value and reputation of your business in the UAE market? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then you need the trademark registration services of Farahat & Co., one of the leading business consultancy firms in the UAE.
A trademark is helpful for advertising products and in providing information about their quality. It allows a company to get exclusive rights to use, distribute, and assign a trademark. Trademark registration in UAE is an excellent way to achieve this. To prevent others from profiting from your name or brand, you must protect it. In any region of the UAE, trademark registration is an essential aspect of starting a business.
That is why you need the professional assistance of Farhat & Co., a leading accounting and auditing firm in Dubai, UAE which also offers trademark registration services for local and international clients. Farahat & Co. has a team of experienced and qualified trademark agents, lawyers, and consultants, who can guide you through the entire process of trademark registration in Dubai, UAE.
What is a Trademark?
According to Article 2 of UAE Federal Law No. 36 of 2021 on Trademarks:
“A Trademark is everything that takes a distinctive shape of names, words, signatures, letters, Symbols, numbers, addresses, seals, Drawings, Pictures, Engravings, packaging, graphic elements, forms, colour or colours or a combination thereof, a sign or a group of signs, including three-dimensional marks, Hologram Marks, or any other mark used or intended to be used to distinguish the goods or services of a facility from the goods or services of other facilities, or to indicate the performance of a service, or to conduct monitoring or examination of goods or services A distinctive sound or smell may be considered as a Trademark”.
Who can register a trademark in the UAE?
According to Federal Decree-Law No. 36 of 2021 on Trademarks, the following persons can register their trademarks:
- The UAE citizens and natural and artificial persons practicing any commercial, industrial, professional or service business.
- Foreigners and natural and artificial persons practicing any commercial, industrial, professional or service business.
- Foreigners and natural and artificial persons practicing any commercial, industrial, professional or service business in any country on basis of reciprocity.
- Other artificial persons.
Benefits of Registering a Trademark in the UAE
Trademark registration in the UAE provides several benefits for trademark owners, such as:
- Registering your trademark in UAE gives you exclusive rights to use, distribute, and assign your trademark in the UAE.
- It also prevents others from using a similar or identical trademark that may confuse or deceive the public and harm your business.
- Legal protection against unauthorized use, imitation, or infringement of the trademark by others.
- Ability to license, assign, or franchise the trademark to third parties.
- Ability to enforce the trademark rights through administrative, civil, or criminal actions.
- Ability to prevent the importation or exportation of counterfeit or infringing goods.
- Ability to benefit from the international protection of the trademark under the relevant treaties and conventions.
Documents Required For Trademark Registration
For registering a trademark in the UAE, the following documents and information are required:
- Trademark Logo
- Trade license Copy
- Power Of Attorney
- Priority Document
- Passport Copy
- List of Goods and Services to be protected
- Other documents as needed.
Trademark Registration Cost in the UAE
The cost for trademark registration in the UAE varies depending on the type and number of classes of goods or services covered by the trademark. The official trademark registration fees are calculated based on the invoice value as follows:
|Aspect||Invoice Value (AED)||Fees (AED)|
|Trademark Application filing fee||750||750|
|Trademark Publication fee||750||750|
|Trademark Registration fee||5000||5000|
The fees include the application filing fee, the publication fee, and the registration fee. The fees are payable through the MoE website portal or at any of the MoE offices across the UAE. The fees are subject to change from time to time, as the MoE may announce reductions or increases in the costs of intellectual property rights services.
Please note that the fees mentioned in the table above do not include the service fees of Farahat & Co. If you wish to avail our trademark registration services, please contact us for a quote and more details.
Trademark registration process in UAE
The trademark registration process in UAE may seem simple, but it involves several steps and requirements that need to be followed carefully and accurately. Any mistake or omission in the application form or the supporting documents may result in the rejection or delay of your trademark registration. That is why it is advisable to choose an experienced and qualified business consultant who knows the UAE trademark registration process inside out.
At Farahat & Co., we offer you a complete and hassle-free trademark registration service in Dubai, UAE. We will assist you with every step of the process, from conducting an initial trademark search to filing the application, from publishing the trademark to responding to any opposition, and from obtaining the certificate of registration to renewing the trademark. We will also advise you on the best strategy to protect and enforce your trademark rights in the UAE.
Here are the steps and requirements for trademark registration in UAE with Farahat & Co.:
Step 1: Initial Trademark Search
Before applying for Trademark registration for a company or a business, you (the applicant) need to conduct an initial trademark search to check if your trademark is already registered or not. This will help you to avoid any potential conflicts or objections from existing trademark owners. You can request an initial trademark search in the UAE from the Trademarks Registration Office, or you can let us do it for you. We have access to the official trademark database and we can conduct a thorough and comprehensive search for your trademark.
Step 2: Application
After confirming the availability of your trademark, the applicant needs to file an application with the Trademarks Registration Office. Ministry of Economy (MoE) is the competent authority to register trademarks in the UAE. The registration application shall include the following data:
- A copy of the trademark intended for registration.
- Name, address, nationality, and profession of the applicant.
- If the applicant is an artificial entity, include its name, headquarters address, and nationality.
- Details (name, data, and address) of the registered agent if the application is submitted by a registered registration agent.
- Accurate description of the trademark to be registered and the goods or services for which registration is sought, along with their respective classes.
- Any other information required by the Ministry.
Additionally, an application fee of AED 750 must be paid to the Trademarks Registration Office (i.e. MOE).
Step 3: Publication
- Once the application is filed, the MOE will examine the trademark and inform the applicant officially of the decision within 90 days from the date of filing the application.
- Upon acceptance, an AED 750 publishing fee is required for inclusion in the Official Trademark Bulletin. Published trademarks invite any interested parties to file an opposition within 30 days.
- Upon conclusion of the objection period, a final registration fee of AED 5000 is due within 30 days.
- In case of opposition, the MOE will notify the applicant, who may respond and defend the trademark.
- The MOE will decide on the opposition and issue a decision. An appeal can be made to the ministry’s committee and the competent court if dissatisfied.
Step 4: Registration
Upon successful registration, a certificate will be issued by the MOE. It will contain essential details like the registration number, date, goods or services class, and owner’s particulars. The certificate will feature a hologram and barcode for authenticity and security.
Step 5: Renewal
- Trademark registrations are valid for 10 years in the UAE. Renewals must be made by filing an application and paying the required fees at least three months before expiry.
- Failure to renew may result in the loss of trademark rights and potential removal from the register.
Need Assistance with UAE, Dubai Trademark Registration Services- Call Us Now
The trademark registration procedure in the United Arab Emirates seems to be easy and uncomplicated. However, any mistakes while submitting the application form or during document submission may result in the trademark's rejection. As a result, it is preferable to choose an experienced business consultant familiar with the UAE Trademark Registration Process.
Business consultants at Farahat & co. will provide complete assistance in registering trademark registration services in Dubai, UAE and ensuring that all legal criteria are met. With our in-depth knowledge about the business setup, we can assist and support you in completing the trademark registration procedure appropriately and obtaining a favorable outcome. Please don't hesitate to contact us; we'll gladly help you!
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of trademarks can be registered?
The types of trademarks that can be registered are as follows:
- Shape marks;
- Sound marks;
- Pattern marks;
- Certification marks;
- Collective marks;
- Service marks;
- Product marks
If you are uncertain of whether your proposed mark can be registered or not, don’t hesitate to contact our office to book a consultation with our trademark specialists in UAE.
How long can a trademark be protected?
A registered trademark will remain valid ten (10) years following its successful registration. in the UAE, validity of a registered trademark can be extended provided the additional fees are paid.
Do I need a trademark or copyright for my business name?
Business names together with product names, labels, and logos can all be registered as trademarks. Trademark registration in UAE is the best course to take for brand protection.